Port Hope Public Library is pleased to accept requests for information. To accommodate your requirements, we offer two levels of research for local history and genealogy requests:
- Simple search service
If you would like a specific piece of information researched your request must have accurate information and involve very little searching on our part to fall into this category. For example, a request for a copy of a vital statistic, such as a birth, death, or marriage announcement from a newspaper, must include the person’s name, relevant date(s), and page/column number
- Complex search service
If you require a more in-depth search, Port Hope Public Library charges an hourly fee regardless of the outcome. Transcripts of each search result will be forwarded to you.
You may send requests:
- by email
- or by mail to
Port Hope Public Library
31 Queen Street, Port Hope, Ontario, CANADA L1A 2Y8
- Your name, telephone number, and email or mailing address
- A self-addressed, stamped envelope if you are requesting printed copies
- As much information as you can about the subject you are researching - names, dates, locations etc. Please note that we assume researchers have reviewed the information available from our Local History website pages.
Summary of fees:
- Computer printouts or photocopies - $0.25/page or colour $0.50/page
- Simple search service - $5.00 per item, pre-paid by Canadian cheque or money order, payable to Port Hope Public Library. An additional fee may apply to international requests.
- Complex search - $30.00 per hour, regardless of outcome, minimum charge of $30.00. An additional fee may apply to international requests.