Interlibrary Loan Services
The Interlibrary loan service has gone through some changes. There will now be direct increased costs affecting your public library’s budget with borrowing and lending using Canada Post. Please be advised that item selection and delivery times may differ from previous service levels.
We would like to remind patrons of some interlibrary loan parameters:
- maximum of 5 interlibrary loan requests at one time
- overdue charge is $1 per day for late interloans
- $5 charge for any interloans borrowed but not picked up
- due dates on interlibrary loan items cannot be renewed
Your public library understands how important the interlibrary loan service is for many of our patrons. The Library has made the decision to absorb extra costs associated with the interlibrary loan service. If you have any questions or concerns please contact CEO Margaret Scott.
If we don’t have it, we’ll do our best to get it for you.
Your Port Hope Public Library card gives you access to the collections of libraries all over Ontario and beyond. If we don’t have the title or subject material you’re looking for, we can often request it on your behalf from another library.
You may request an interlibrary loan
- in person at the Adult Information Desk (Mary J. Benson Branch) or Circulation/Information Desk (The Hub at Canton)
- by phone at 905.885.4712
We can search for your material by:
- subject heading
- format (e.g., paperback, large print)
Give us as much information as you can, and we’ll do the rest.
You may request:
- up to 5 items at a time
- books - adult and children’s - except those published within the last year
- titles in a specific format, such as hardcover, paperback or Large Print editions
- titles in a series in a specific order or on an ongoing basis - just give us a list
- microfilm from the provincial and national archives, and from other organizations that offer a lending service
The following items are available through the interlibrary loan system, but on a more limited basis:
- Music CDs
- Audio books
- Reference material
- Textbooks and other academic material
Please allow at least 2 to 6 weeks for delivery of interlibrary loans.
Although many interlibrary loans arrive in less than 2 weeks, we cannot guarantee delivery within a certain timeframe. If you need an item by a deadline, please let us know so that we can best advise you about availability. Microfilm from archives may take up to 3 months to arrive.
Academic libraries may charge for interlibrary loans.
If the material you have requested is available only from an academic library that charges for interlibrary loans, we will let you know the fee and get your authorization before ordering.
The interlibrary loan system is an agreement between libraries.
If you have a question for the lending library about your interlibrary loan, please let us know and we will contact that library on your behalf. It is the lending library’s decision whether or not to lend an item.
Would you like to search the interlibrary loan system? Click on the link below. Please note that:
- All interlibrary loan orders must be placed through the Library
- Some titles listed in VDX may not be available for interlibrary loan. We will advise you about availability when you place your order