If you have questions, we’ll find the answers.
One of the Library’s goals is to help you find the information you need in the most efficient way possible. Whether your question is about fact or fiction, your neighbourhood or the global village, ancient history or current events, we’ll help you find the answer using all the resources we have or we’ll refer you to the person who does have the answer.
Begin your quest for knowledge by contacting the Library
If you are unable to come to us, we’ll come to you.
The Library offers delivery services to nursing home residents and house-bound patrons.
- Staff members choose books and/or audio books
- Volunteers deliver and pick up the items
- All deliveries are made on the last Tuesday of every month, year round
- We will do our best to fill requests for particular titles, authors, subjects or genres
For further information or to register for this program please contact Lori Altman at 905.885.4712 or email.
The Library is part of the province-wide interlibrary loan system.
Your access to information extends far beyond the walls of our two Library branches. We offer patrons an interlibrary loan system that includes public and academic libraries, and provincial and national archives.
June 14, 2019
Return of Interlibrary Loan Services on June 17
The Interlibrary loan service will return to Port Hope Public Library June 17. From now until September the Library will test and monitor interlibrary loan services. There will now be direct increased costs affecting your public library’s budget with borrowing and lending using Canada Post. Please be advised that item selection and delivery times may differ from previous service levels.
We would like to remind patrons of some interlibrary loan parameters:
- maximum of 5 interlibrary loan requests at one time
- overdue charge is $1 per day for late interloans
- $5 charge for any interloans borrowed but not picked up
- due dates on interlibrary loan items cannot be renewed
Your public library understands how important the interlibrary loan service is for many of our patrons. Final decisions about the future of the interlibrary loan service will be made later in the fall. If you have any questions or concerns please contact CEO Margaret Scott.
Book Club Requests
The Library offers a title request service for local book clubs.
The Library is able to order multiple copies of books for book clubs that have registered for this service. For further information, please contact the Library at 905.885.4712 or email.
Centre for Equitable Library Access Collection (CELA)
Port Hope Public Library offers access to a collection of over 230,000 books, magazines, newspapers and described videos in a choice of formats for people with a print disability.
Access to the CELA collection is available to people who are unable to read conventional print due to a disability, which includes:
- Learning disability: an impairment relating to comprehension
- Physical disability: the inability to hold or manipulate a book
- Visual disability: severe or total impairment of sight or the inability to focus or move one's eyes
How to sign up for CELA
Contact the Library to begin the registration process for access to CELA services. Access to the collection is offered in a number of ways:
- Download books to your computer or mobile device, such as an iPhone
- Download books to a DAISY player over a wireless connection without using a computer
- Receive audio CDs, Braille or described movies through your local branch or by mail directly to your home
The CELA website can be found at: www.celalibrary.ca