Suspension of Inter-library loan services until mid-June
The Interlibrary loan service will return to Port Hope Public Library mid-June. Items will now be circulated between libraries in southern Ontario using Canada Post which will result in direct increased costs affecting your public library’s budget. These changes are a result of the 50% cut to the Ontario Library Service by the Provincial Government.
From mid-June until September the Library will test and monitor this new borrowing & lending method. Final decisions about the future of the interlibrary service will be made later in the fall.
Your public library understands how important the interlibrary loan service is for many of our patrons. We hope to be able to continue to provide the service given the current situation. If you have any questions or concerns please contact CEO Margaret Scott.
If we don’t have it, we’ll do our best to get it for you.
Your Port Hope Public Library card gives you access to the collections of libraries all over Ontario and beyond. If we don’t have the title or subject material you’re looking for, we can often request it on your behalf from another library.
You may request an interlibrary loan
- in person at the Adult Information Desk (Mary J. Benson Branch) or Circulation/Information Desk (The Hub at Canton)
- by phone at 905.885.4712
We can search for your material by:
- subject heading
- format (e.g., paperback, large print)
Give us as much information as you can, and we’ll do the rest.
You may request:
- up to 5 items at a time
- books - adult and children’s - except those published within the last year
- titles in a specific format, such as hardcover, paperback or Large Print editions
- titles in a series in a specific order or on an ongoing basis - just give us a list
- microfilm from the provincial and national archives, and from other organizations that offer a lending service
The following items are available through the interlibrary loan system, but on a more limited basis:
- Music CDs
- Audio books
- Reference material
- Textbooks and other academic material
Please allow at least 2 to 6 weeks for delivery of interlibrary loans.
Although many interlibrary loans arrive in less than 2 weeks, we cannot guarantee delivery within a certain timeframe. If you need an item by a deadline, please let us know so that we can best advise you about availability. Microfilm from archives may take up to 3 months to arrive.
Academic libraries may charge for interlibrary loans.
If the material you have requested is available only from an academic library that charges for interlibrary loans, we will let you know the fee and get your authorization before ordering.
The interlibrary loan system is an agreement between libraries.
If you have a question for the lending library about your interlibrary loan, please let us know and we will contact that library on your behalf. It is the lending library’s decision whether or not to lend an item.
Would you like to search the interlibrary loan system? Click on the link below. Please note that:
- All interlibrary loan orders must be placed through the Library
- Some titles listed in VDX may not be available for interlibrary loan. We will advise you about availability when you place your order