Donating to the Library is a gift to the whole community.
The Library and all of our patrons greatly benefit from gifts and donations received from generous supporters every year. Donations of books, DVDs, books on CD, and gifts of money to buy these materials enhance and supplement the collection. Gifts and donations are also a wonderful way to recognize a person, event, or organization.
How do I donate securities?
The Government of Canada has eliminated the capital gains tax on the eligible amount of publicly traded securities donated to registered charities. A gift of securities to Port Hope Public Library helps your award-winning library purchase new books and other library material, enhance services, and continue to offer high-quality library programs and special events for the entire community.
If you are interested in donating securities to Port Hope Public Library please contact the Chief Librarian/CEO.
Cash is good, too!
The Library always welcomes gifts of money. Donate by cash or cheque and we’ll do the purchasing. You may specify a title or subject matter, or leave that up to us. You may also request that your gift of money be used to fund a program, buy equipment or furniture for the Library.
Donating to the Library is a unique way to honour someone special or mark an occasion. Some ideas include:
- make a donation as the perfect ‘thank you’ gift for your child’s teacher
- ask that guests to a birthday party or other celebration donate to the Library in the honoured person’s name instead of buying gifts
- donate in your children’s or grandchildren’s names
- donate money and submit a list of titles your organization would like to see added to the Library’s collection
- request that people make an ‘In Memoriam’ donation for someone who has passed away
Donating Books, DVDs and books on CD
January 11, 2018 Thank you for thinking of the Library but currently we can only accept donations of mass market paperbacks. Our regular donation policy will resume soon, please check back. We appreciate your understanding.
The Library welcomes donations of:
- new and newer hardcovers less than 5 years old
- new and newer paperback books in excellent condition
- new and newer books on CD in good working order
- DVDs in good working order
- books of any age pertaining to Port Hope local history
Not sure what we mean by 'newer?' Please contact 905.885.4712 or email for further information.
Our storage space is limited! If your donation consists of more than 2 grocery bags or 1 box, please contact 905.885.4712 or email before you donate.
Your donations will enhance the Library in one of two ways:
- we will add them to the Library’s collection when appropriate
- we will put them on the ongoing book sale shelves, the proceeds of which fund new purchases for the Library. The ongoing book sale shelves are located beneath the windows in the Circulation Desk area of the Mary J. Benson Branch.
Port Hope Public Library is listed on CanadaHelps.org, the national not-for-profit donation portal.